Different Title and URL in Wordpress

Topic: Different Title and URL in Wordpress

Hello,

First of all, thank you for creating this awesome product, you rock Larry  smile .

I just bought the Wordpress version and I'm wondering if there is any way to have the URL different than the TITLE of the post/page that we create.

This will be awesome.

Thanks.

Re: Different Title and URL in Wordpress

Of course, you can modify your Permalink settings, but controlling the URL by (maybe) another 'Instruction' line seems interesting.

Can you give me an example of a current URL vs a desired URL?

I'll give this some thought and see if the WP API can give me a clean way to do this.

Thanks for this request.

Hey Larry, thank you for your quick answer.

Example of what I'm looking for:

Imagine that I want an URL and TITLE that goes like that

URL: http://www.whatever/how-to-find-a-good-or-best-house-in-portland-OR

TITLE: Find a house in Portland

The plugin will create the url http://www.whatever/find-a-house-in-portland
instead of the one above.

--

In the explanation of the plugin, it pulls out from the title to create the url.

What I thought is something like insert another line of code to create the url? Maybe something like?

[WordpressURL how-to-find-a-good-or-best-house-in#city#-#state#]

But I don't know if this will be the easiest option from the "programing" standpoint.

Thanks
Jesús

Last edited by jesuslmr (2013-02-14 10:36 am)

In the explanation of the plugin, it pulls out from the title to create the url.

Actually, the plugin uses the 1st line of your article to set the title of the post/page.

The value of the URL is completely controlled by Wordpress and it's Permalink settings.

I may have to create some kind of database (maintained by the plugin) to hold Permalink settings on an article by article basis.

I'll keep you "posted".

Awesome. Thaks a lot.

Hey Larry, how is it going?

Is there any options for this showing up?

Take care.

I've gotten the plugin to dynamically set post_title and post_name as separate entities. So far, this works for publishing NEW posts or pages. The titles show up in menus and links while permalinks are now independent of the titles.

I expect I'll have UPDATE and DELETE of posts/pages working sometime today.

I'm also almost done modifying Mpc's Control Panel to encode the permalink info into the article.zip file.

Then I need to mod the Online Editor so the 'Instruction' button will let you add the new 'WordpressUrl' Instruction. I Also need to mod the 'Preview Article' function to display the new Instruction.

So, it's going to be a reality and probably within days.

Wow! Amazing. Looking forward for it...

Take care.

I've completed adding this functionality to Mpc v278 and the WP plugin v3.6. You should see the forced updates the next time you startup Mpc and the plugin.

Syntax for the new 'WordpressUrl' instruction is explained at "How do I use the plugin".

Please let me know if this is what you were looking for. I really like this addition. Thanks again for the request.

Hey there,

Is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll let you know how it goes..

Thanks a lot